Blogspot »

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Twister Illusions

This is the second quilt I began during the recent quilting cruise I enjoyed! I showed you in progress here, but now it's finished. :) It measures 18.5" x 22" and was from a pattern by Marilyn Foreman, though Marsha Bergren taught the Twister technique on the cruise.

I decided I liked the idea of miniaturizing this pattern, so my finished blocks are 1" square.

Since I'm still so crazy about feathers, I machine quilted curved sprays of them in the colored diamond shapes and their shadows.

Then I quilted some more curved crosshatching in the black background. I definitely need more practice with this, but I really like doing it. The ruler from Accents in Design is a huge help, though I do wish I had a better foot for my Bernina to use with it.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Sheila cardigan and Orvieto hat

It's been a while since I've posted, hasn't it? It's a busy summer! Not much of an excuse, but it's the best I have. ;) I'm working on finishing another little quilt, but in the meantime I've completed a cardigan I started some time ago, as well as a slouch hat that I gave to one of my daughters. The other daughter will be getting one soon.  You can see the hat at the right. It's the first hat I've knitted, and it was fun. :) It begins at the top with some I-cord and then adds increases regularly before ending with some reverse stockinette. It's called the Orvieto hat. The fact that it's slouchy means that it won't have such a crushing effect on a hairdo after having been worn for a time. LOL!

The Sheila cardigan was a lot of fun to knit, but it's hard to see the design in the dark navy yarn I chose. Drat! You'll actually see more by clicking on the link to the pattern. Oh well. It fits quite tightly, more so than I'd really expected, but I still like it. That's a good thing, since I'd really hate to have wasted my time. One of these days, though, I want to get measured for CustomFit so I have a better idea of how things will end up. ;) Unfortunately, no one where I live has been certified to do the measuring, so I'll have to wait until I happen to be somewhere where it's done.

In the meantime, here's a photo that shows the pattern a little better, thanks to the color not being true. The arrow shapes are done by means of stockinette and reverse stockinette stitches. I really like that effect!