Our guild has an annual challenge, and this time we had a beautiful red batik fabric to use, as well as the requirement of a heart somewhere on whatever we created. We were given the fabric last January, and I made my piece in July but decided not to post it until after the challenge competition last night. ;) There were some wonderful creations there, all interpreting the theme of "Heart's Desire".
I used a paper-pieced pattern designed by Carol Doak for my blocks, but I shrank them to 3" in the main part of my miniature quilt and 2" in the border; the quilt finished at 14" square. I set photos of my family members into the centers of the larger (comparatively speaking, of course!) blocks. I decided to make this a two-color quilt, so it's all red, with a white/pink for the background.
At the end of last night's meeting, I was thrilled to find that my quilt had placed second in the miniature category! :D Here's a detail of one corner (at right):
I quilted feathers in the border and small hearts in the corners of the blocks, with loops in the "bumps" of the heart blocks.