Yes, I know I missed the season, but this piece will be ready for next fall. ;) This is wool appliqué, all done by hand, and I began making this while in Phoenix last month. Most of the fabrics were from a kit, and the thread is Valdani perle cotton in size 12; the Valdani has a lovely sheen, much nicer than DMC.
The biggest problem with this pattern (created by Cathy Skow) is that it was literally impossible to see through the background fabric (the olive-y green) to trace the layout and the embroidered tendrils. I made a plastic overlay to place the wool bits, but then I had to make a stencil for the embroidery -- not an easy task with scissors. ;) I will say, however, that this fabric was quite easy to appliqué to the scalloped backing. The original pattern showed that scalloped backing in a little brown plaid, but I couldn't find anything similar for my version. In fact, I couldn't even find a good range of colors in solid colors of wool felt! However, I think the green I finally settled on works well enough.
This was fun to do, but now it's back to quilting! :)